C-5 Framing and Rough Carpentry Contractor

California Contractors License Classification:
C-5 Framing and Rough Carpentry Contractor

If you are interested in running your own business doing construction framing you must first pass the California State Contractors License exam for a C-5 Framing and Rough Carpentry Contractor. As a C-5 contractor you can work on various framing projects for both commercial and residential structures.  Projects would include but are not limited to framing both single-family and multi-family dwellings, framing commercial buildings such as schools or hotels, building scaffolding and making forms to be filled with concrete. As a C-5 Carpenter you will need to be able to study blueprints and diagrams, work with tools that measure and cut timber and plywood, assemble and fasten materials, be able to work with different supports, hoists, scaffolds, timber, fixtures all used in erecting forms used in building.

With a C-5 license you can expect to work on such projects as:

  • Assemble wood or metal framework
  • Anchor and brace forms
  • Erect scaffolds
  • Build roof supports
  • Install rough door and window frames and stairs
  • Frame gazebos and porches
  • Install subflooring
  • Build temporary supports
  • Repair/Replace structural timbers and supports

The Contractors State License Board defines a C-5 Framing and Rough Carpentry contractor as someone who performs any form work, framing or rough carpentry necessary to construct framed structures; install or repair individual components of framing systems and performs any rough carpentry or associated work, including but not limited to the construction or installation of: sub-flooring, siding exterior staircases and railings, overhead doors, roof decking, truss members and sheathing.  Authority cited: Sections 7008 and 7059, Reference: Sections 7058 and 7059 (Business and Professions Code)

At Contractors State License Services we can assist you in passing the C-5 Framing and Rough Carpentry license exam. We offer a variety of courses to meet a variety of educational needs; including live in-school instruction, on-line study programs, and crash courses. Many of our courses are offered in English and Spanish. Contractors State License Services has over 25 locations throughout California and over 25 years experience in helping contractors pass the law and trade portions of the CSLB exam.

Our exam materials will include curriculum that cover the following content specific to your exam:

  • Law & Business
  • Planning and Estimation
  • Structural Framing
  • General Framing
  • Safety

The California Contractors State License Board requires a minimum of four years journeyman-level experience in order to apply for a California Contractors license.

For more information on how to get your C-5 Framing and Rough Carpentry Contractors license, call us at 800 303-4691.